Saturday, August 23, 2008

Goodbye and Happy Birthday


Thursday night we celebrated my roommate Trevor's 30th birthday and my roommate William's last night in San Antonio. We ate Trevor's traditional birthday meal, had an abbreviated Bible study, ate cake, and opened presents.

The night was full or what this little community is known for: relaxed evenings full of stories of and goofy jokes. Trevor retold the one about the buffet, while William put fake teeth in his mouth and talked like a hillbilly. There were new friends and old, and too many laughs to get nostaligic.

I can't really speak for Trevor, and I can't really imagine what it feels like to hit 30. Probably just another big day that, when it comes, you struggle to find what it is you're really supposed to "feel." So Trevor, here's to another 30.

On Friday we'll pack William up and send him off. I'm really happy for the guy. It's clear he left his heart in Midland. Although he's been a great friend to us, and meant a lot to our church, it's been a tough year for him.
It's not just his portion of the rent I will miss. I'll miss the trips downtown to cool new restaurants, and retelling the same stories about cake and other things. I'll miss his advice, which has helped me more than he knows. More than anything, I'll miss the sounding board he's been; helping me process the difficulties of ministry, a break up, and finding my own place in this city.

Thanks guys.

3 comments:

TSHarrison said...

Thanks man...well said.

Taylor and Frankie Rodriguez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Taylor and Frankie Rodriguez said...

i know i'm a little late...but this is a great post! love the pics!