Sunday, August 3, 2008

Something besides a movie review...

What does it say about my life when the most common thing I think to post is my thoughts on a whatever the last movie I saw was.



Instead of discussing how much I enjoyed the X-Files trip down memory lane, let's talk about a book. I just finished Devil in the White City. Eric Larson's history and biography of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. Larson follows the characters that made the fair happen, as well as the chilling story of a serial killer who thrived on the chaos created by it.




It's strong characters and short chapters help make Larson's work read a little more like a novel than a textbook. He even incorporates quotations in a manner which mimics diologue. Getting into the book is difficult . The first half is bogged down with biographical details of the architects. However, as you enter the second half of the book, the fair at last becomes a reality, as does the depths of evil found in the antagonist. The book's final act follows a detective criss-crossing the country, desperately seeking to rescue the last few victims. I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.




Sadly, I must admit that I have avoided much serious reading, especially history, since college. I tend to spend my reading times staying abreast on theology and finding haven in cheap science fiction. The Devil in the White, therefore, was the perfect foray into serious reading. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys history or thrillers.

1 comment:

racheld said...

I read/listened to this and really enjoyed it! Nice review!