Wednesday, August 6, 2008

How do you worship?

Tonight I had a chance to participate in a Taize worship gathering. Taize originated in a monestary in France, and consists of a combination of short melodic chants, scripture reading and extended periods of silence. I always look appreciate Taize worship. I pack my life pretty full, and my hyperactive mind and body find quiet and contemplation unnatural. I need all the help I can get.

These days I spend my Sundays worshipping with a rock band. We hang out in a dark room with couches and candles. We turn it up loud, stand up and raise our hands.

Both are a far cry from the strict a cappella (hands at your sides! don't clap!) tradition I was a part of. However, I find myself singing the old country-style hymns almost every day.

I think it is important to experience different types of worship on a regular basis. Different traditions emphasize the heart, soul, mind and body in different ways. Every time I worship God in a new way, I learn something about him, and how he has created me.

No comments: