Friday, March 28, 2008

On Sensitivity

I've recently dealt with a situation that was pretty rough for me. Now, usually I have a pretty thick skin, and don't think too much about the things people say to me. However, because of my situation, I've been hyper-aware of the things people say to me. It's made me rethink what it means to be sensitive.

For instance, when explaining the situation to a scientist friend, he repeatedly said "I can't believe you did that." He couldn't. It didn't add up.

Mainly, I receive a lot of jokes due to the fact that I am the one single person on staff at a suburban family-oriented church. Often, I'm quick witted and I head people off at the pass. However, little jokes about "Chris is the single guy," or even a well meaning "why don't you date her, she's pretty," sting right now in a way they wouldn't normally.

I don't think too often about the weight of my words, especially those I say in jest. I find myself hurting a little inside, and often playing it off. It makes me wonder how often I hurt other people with my words. It makes me wonder how many of the jokes I hear aren't jokes.

How many jokes are the thing we hide behind when we're crying inside?

3 comments:

Shayla said...

I think it's the easiest thing to hide behind. Humor, that is. Yet when you're so conflicted to the point where the only thing you can do is smile in order to stop from crying, there's a problem.

It probably never changes. People will have to deal with this kind of sensitivity their whole life and for a brief moment they are aware of the pain it can inflict however it seems to fade with time.

I have never been thick skinned, so I envy you there. And while sensitivity can lead to sulking, I think there is something to be said about being sensitive. I'm not quite sure what your situation is but for your sake I hope you can see it as a constructive sort of situation.

It seems that at the times when your heart aches your mind has a tiny "aha" moment. Maybe that's what the sensitivity is supposed to evoke.

Daniel A. Clark said...

It seems to me that the older I get the more I realize how sensitive people are. My brothers and I (when we were young)used to give my dad a hard time about being overweight, when we got a little older my mom sat us down and told us how that hurt his feelings.

However, I think as I get older I get more hard, I do not know why.

Kara said...

words can hurt for sure. i do not have very thick skin, but i try to appear as though i do. i may not let you see me cry when your hurt me but i'm quick to cry when you walk away.