Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Best with what you've got.

Mad props to my good good friend James Holston for his example and his visit.

James and I became friends through a Bible study we helped run at Harding. We spent about a year and a half trying to convince the complacent Bible belters to step out of their comfort zone and to view their world and future workplace as a mission field. This friendship, based on the idea that church could be better and reach lost people, continues to be a blessing to me.

I've moved on, spending time in Atlanta, Austin and now San Antonio. I've had the chance to work with world-class leaders, and get hands on experience in the type of ministry I hope to lead someday.

James took a different path. He got a really good job, and continues to slave away at it in the...interesting (?)... state of Arkansas. He's paid off his debts and saved up all his money. He spends his evenings running ministries that reach people who would never otherwise step into a church. He spends his time off flying to Hondurus and helping the poor there. Then he spends his extra money, flying into SA, just in time for a very difficult weekend.

I'm so glad for James friendship. But I am just as grateful for how he uses the blessings of his less than ideal situation to bring glory to God, and encouragement to me.

Thanks buddy.

No comments: