Monday, October 13, 2008

There's Hope Yet

At Journey Fellowship, we're really enjoying going thru The Story. While studying the story of Joseph, I had one of those "aha!" moments, where you see something new in a story you've read a million times.

When Joseph is propositioned by his Boss's wife, he tells her "my master does not concern himself with anything in the house; everything he owns he has entrusted to my care. No one is greater in this house than I am. My master has withheld nothing from me except you, because you are his wife. How then could I do such a wicked thing and sin against God?"

The exchange strikes me as eerily similar to the one Eve had with the Serpent. She could have anything she wanted, except the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, just like Joseph could have anything he wanted, except his boss's wife.

A professor of mine often said "Adam and Eve is not just the story of what happened, it's the story of what happens." We all face temptation like Eve did. But when it came Joseph's turn, he ran from it.

There's hope yet.

No comments: