Monday, October 22, 2007

Thoughts from the weekend

Emergence 2007

It was really great to be a part of this conference. Although fascinated by things that are coming out of those who over the last 5-10 years have labeled themselves "Emergent" I hesitate to call myself one of them. That being said, it was great to join the conference.

Probably my main takeaway from the whole time was the concept rethinking fundamental things about the Christian faith. For instance, it was decided in the 3rd century that the nature of God is trinitarian. However, there are a number of other things that the universal church has never agreed on. What exactly is the gospel? How does Jesus' message of Kingdom shape the gospel? What is the role of scripture? What exactly has Jesus provided atonement for, and how does that affect who we are as his body?

My favorite quote from this weekend: "Asking if the Bible is inerrant is like asking if you don't hate your wife. The question isn't 'is the Bible inerrant.' the question is 'is the Bible TRUE."

Soul Camp

I'll never really get used to "Single's Ministry." However, in a culture that produces churches that cluster together by affinity, and, more importantly, a culture that has delayed adulthood until one's late 20s, it seems important and inevitable. Afterall, where I am I going to find Christ-followers who can hang out with me, not talk about marriage all the time, and not leave early to put the kids to bed.

I'm glad I went. My ministry surrounds me with people either ten years younger or older than me, and I have to go out of my way to spend time with peers. It was good to be somewhere, without having to be "the minister," and just enjoy the scenery and fellowship.

I do have to say that I fear that too much of what is being called "Single's Ministry" is the classic and quantitatively ineffectual Youth Ministry being applied to older kids. Sure, culture says you're not an adult until you're at least 26, but should the church treat you like it did when you were 16? I wish that Single's Ministry wasn't focused on getting us together to have a good time, but focused on putting these people with time and money to spare to work for the kingdom of God.

1 comment:

dajotx said...

Hi Chris,

Enjoyed meeting you at Emergent this weekend -- sat in front of you the first day. I think my primary take-away was getting aquainted with Doug Pagitt. And then seeing the diversity of opinion and gracious interaction on stage.

Best to you in your endeavors.
David