Monday, September 29, 2008

Too much like Ted

My roommate Trevor introduced me to the sitcom How I Met Your Mother last week. I watched the entire first season in three sittings. I like the show for a lot of reasons, like the fast paced humor, the lack of respect chronology, and the ridiculous character Barney. It's very similar to Scrubs in its portrayal of young, urban 20somethings, only more accessible (since I'm not a doctor.)

But the reason I get so drawn into this show is how much I identify with the main character Ted. Here are a few things I can relate to:
  1. He falls too fast. The whole first season is about his relationship with Robin, which he screwed up by telling her he loved her on their first date.

  2. His tendency to overthink things keeps him from acting.

  3. His relationships with his closest friends are sometimes peers, and sometimes surrogate parents.

  4. He has an amazing two month relationship with Victoria the Cupcake Girl, who leaves him for Europe.

  5. His walls are covered with posters of ska bands and he almost dumped a girl who didn't like Star Wars.

  6. Ted is looking to settle down, but can't seem to find any girls who want to.

  7. Ted knows exactly what he wants (likes Otis Redding, plays bass guitar, loves dogs), and judges everyone he sees on that.
Yeah...feel a little too much like Ted.

No comments: