Thursday, April 3, 2008

I am 26 years old. I have a good life.

Today I am 26 years old.

I live in San Antonio, Texas, a place I would have never imagined myself being in for most of those 26 years. I work for a large church, and I occasionally get the chance to interact with people who are “big names.” My boss is nice enough to change up my job description so that it takes advantage of what I am wired to do.

I am able to pay my bills and set aside some money in savings. I have two great roommates who I can have meaningful conversations with, pray with, and who like to watch good movies. I am a part of a small group that doesn't just meet for Bible study, but spends their free time together.

I get to read good books and listen to interesting podcasts. In a few weeks I’ll be taking classes again, and possibly have it all paid for! When I’ve got free time, I can read comic books. There’s a nice little venue that has live music and swing dancing every Monday.

My family supports me, even when I do things they don’t agree with. Some of my friends call me everyday when they know I am going through a hard time. I have the opportunity to go to therapy and work through my issues. There are people all over the country whom I can’t even keep in touch with that care about me.

There are some things that I’m not so crazy about. I miss living in a city. I miss living near the mountains. There are people who I miss so much that thinking about them creates a pain for which I have no name. I often feel lonely and frustrated. I hate the debt I have and how it has affected my life. There is an ever present nagging to jump up, leave all this, and go see the world. Then there are the issues that continue to affect my life no matter how hard I try, not matter how much I pray, don’t seem to go away.

Yet, I cannot forget:

I have a loving God. He has rescued me from the storms of this world. He has set me to work in his Kingdom. He has big plans for us.

And that is all that matters.

1 comment:

TSHarrison said...

I've met the Deuce, but who's this other awesome roommate you speak of? Seriously I think you should always advertise this guy's name.