Sunday, December 9, 2007

Top Two

As a single guy, I spend a lot more time talking about girls than talking too them. Maybe that explains a lot.

What I'm looking for has really changed, and I've narrowed it down to a top two list these days:

1) A girl that's got her stuff together. What can I say? Maturity is hot. Knowing who you are, what you want, where you're going. Being able to manage your own life. In a world where adolescence stretches into your late 20s, having your life together sets you a part from the pack.

2) Fruit. Jesus said "...every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit" (Luke 7:17-18). In the past, I've dated girls that weren't headed the same direction as me, and I sometime rationalized it as "they have a lot of potential." Living in a part of the country where everyone is a nominal Christian, it's not very impressive to meet a girl who goes to church. I'm done looking for potential, I want to see faith that has fruit. Can I tell by how you spend your time, your money, your passions, that you love Jesus? Or are you just another nice person raised to waste your Sunday mornings at a religious service. Fruit is hot.

It's a lot harder to find than you might think.

1 comment:

Daniel A. Clark said...

This is so right, I have so far failed to date a girl who has either of these qualities, especially the fruit.

I feel like even though #2 had ambitions to be a minister, it seemed more to me to be a job than her passion for Jesus. In my opinion, she rarely acted like Jesus to people that she had not deemed worthy.