Friday, December 21, 2007

Who's counting the human cost?

So, I finally got around to watching Reign Over Me last night. The movie follow's Don Cheedle as he tracks down an old friend who lost his wife and family on 9/11. Adam Sandler deliver's a performance that is not all that different than the comedies that made him famous, except for a few heart-wrenching scenes where he remembers what he has lost.

The movie brings out an important facet that has gotten lost in four years with two simultaneous wars on terrorism. The human cost. What does terrorism, or any war for that matter do to people's lives, or our culture as a whole? Beyond the monetary cost or the cost of life, what is this doing to us?

1 comment:

TSHarrison said...

First off I must disagree with you on Sandler's preformance in this movie. It is nothing like the roles he portrayed in Billy Madison or Happy Gilmore. Completely different. And those heart-wrenching moments show some real depth for an actor who earned his living playing screw ball characters. I am growing in my appreciation of Sandler's dramatic roles.

Second I feel the need to say that I believe the pain as a result of terrorism as compared to the pain from war to be uniquely different. Therefore to bring the war into this discussion (at least in the context of this movie) is a jump.

But I do think the question (what does war do to people's lives) is interesting. Throughout history (even in Scripture) man's conflicts has forged his character and challenge his convictions.

What I struggle with is that while I don't ever want to celebrate or rejoice in war I can't help but be thankful for it and envy the opportunities of it.

Would I be the person I believe the Holy Spirit is guiding and creating me to be in the midst of war?
Would I have integrity?
Would I have compassion?
Would I have courage?
Can love conquer agression?
Can love conquer fear?
Can love conquer pain?

Anyway, my thoughts at the moment.