Saturday, July 5, 2008

Why They Hate Us

I made the choice to watch the firework display at a local Air Force Base here in San Antonio. Beyond the tired "Proud to Be an American," and the classic John Phillps Suza, the most popular song, heard twice in the course of the overly long demonstration, was Toby Keith's "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue."

Now, I am glad to live in America. I'd take our constitution and our 200 year tradition of peaceful exchange of power over what's going on in say, Zimbabwe right now, any day. Thankfulness is one thing. Pride may even have it's place. But I don't have to wonder why Europe hates us and radical Muslims want to wipe us out when I hear the lyrics:

Ohhh Justice will be served
And the battle will rage
This big dog will fight
When you rattle his cage
And you'll be sorry that you messed with The U.S. of A.
'Cause we'll put a boot in your ass
It's the American way

I would hate us too.

1 comment:

jessiefulks said...

Right now, I'm completely rethinking my stance on being a Christian and being political. If my true citizenship is in Heaven, is it right for me to be patriotic? Won't I be a christian regardless of where I live? Lots to think about...

While I appreciate that being in this country gives me the "freedom" to dislike it, I still dislike it.