Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Disappointed with Andy (Part 2)

Now, I’m not saying that I necessarily disagree with anything Andy said. But I am disappointed. His ideas struck me as poorly thought out, overtly republican, and reinforcing misconceptions that Americans Christians are seeking a theocracy. Some questions Andy didn’t consider:
What about Rome, or the Magna Carta?
Is America the new Israel, what Jesus meant by “The Kingdom of God?”
What does it mean that a God-fearing president would lead his people to war?
Where is the line between recognizing “the divine law” and claiming “the divine right of kings?”
If America has a divinely-inspired understanding of human rights, does that mean God supports:
Gitmo?
Ignoring Habeus Corpus?
Water-Boarding?
An education system and economic system that oppresses certain classes and races?
Ignoring the Kyoto accord and other global environmental initiatives?

I’m pretty disappointed in Andy Stanley. For a man who has been a champion for making Sunday mornings a place where anyone can walk in and learn God’s truth, I’m shocked in how poorly thought out these comments were. That doesn’t mean I’m done listening to Andy. I still believe he’s got a lot to teach me. But I’ll be a little skeptical from here on out.

No comments: