Saturday, December 1, 2007

Niche Marketing at it's Finest

If you haven't found it yet, make sure to visit www.pandora.com. Pandora is an online music site that streams free music in a unique way. Instead of being at the mercy of some DJs playlist, you have power over what you hear. You tell the site the name of an artist or song you like. It pulls up that artists songs, as well as others with similar profiles. You tell the site whether or not you like the songs, and it builds a constantly more specified profile of you and your music taste.

Usually niche marketing bothers me. I don't like being told that my taste can be reduced down to a formula. But the fact is, to an extent, it can. So, even though I may be creating an ever more specified stereotype to be manipulated by record labels, I like the music, and I'll keep using Pandora for the time being.

No comments: